Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Three Musketeers - A Tale of Boorish Swashbucklers


Okay,as you can see from the title, I did not enjoy reading The Three Musketeers. I didn’t like any of the main characters.

Briefly, and as you probably know, the story revolves around the escapades of a young man, D’Artagnan who leaves his humble home seeking to become one of the King’s Musketeers. In a series of “mishaps” he causes problems for three of the musketeers, and is later befriended by them: Aramis, Porthos, and Athos. Duels, matters of honor, falling in and out of love, and trying to stay a step ahead of the evil Cardinal Richelieu and the equally evil Milady occupy D’Artagnan and the three musketeers. Some of their time is spent scheming how to get money to outfit themselves for battle. In those times, soldiers had to provide their own weaponry, uniforms, and if they could afford them, horses. Getting money from the wives of moneyed men, gambling, or hoodwinking people considered “beneath their station” seemed to be the preferred ways.

I’m not quarreling with Dumas’ ability to write. He was a great writer and he spun quite a tale. His gift for imagery is readily apparent. I was particularly struck by a passage near the end of the book in which he describes a desperate night ride during a storm. I enjoyed that passage.

“From time to time a broad sheet of lightning opened the horizon in its whole width, darted like a serpent over the black mass of trees, and like a terrible scimitar divided the heavens and the waters into two parts. Not a breath of wind now disturbed the heavy atmosphere. A deathlike silence oppressed all nature. The soil was humid and glittering with the rain which had recently fallen, and the refreshed herbs sent forth their perfume with additional energy.” (p 685)


There were other brief action scenes that I got caught up in. Dumas’ had an ability to build suspense. However, the sparse suspenseful scenes were not worth enduring the long, dull passages about these people I did not like.

For those interested in the history of France during the reign of King Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu, this may hold more interest. For instance, part of the action takes place during the battle of La Rochelle, in which the King’s forces attempted to crush the Huguenots. Ultimately, the King prevailed. The depiction of real people of the time, King Louis XIII, Cardinal Richelieu, Queen Anne (Anne of Austria), and the Duke of Buckingham George Villiers) might hold the Franco history buff’s interest.
.
The copy of the book I read contained notes to explain the references and pointed out the anachronisms provided by Barbara T Cooper, professor of French at the University of New Hampshire. Often, the notes were more interesting than the story. I found the them very helpful and it was interesting to learn the historical context of the action and the characters.

I did not find any of the main characters likeable. I realize the times were different. Knowing that didn’t help. D’Artagnan and his comrades were a product of their times. Crossing swords over an insult doesn’t appeal to me. Misogyny of the times doesn’t appeal to me. Women fell into two categories. They were either pure-hearted damsels in need of protection and a great deal of help or they were evil, scheming, vindictive devils set about bringing men down. More than once, the ills of mankind were attributed to the inborn lack of sense and ability of womankind.

I’ve read many novels set in times when the culture was not one I would have wanted to live in. For instance, this is the case with my favorite book, A Tale of Two Cities. I would not have wanted to live during those times. However, Dickens created characters the reader could care about, even admire. Their bravery was not borne solely from the culture of the times. It was that something deep within, it was human, it was universal. The main characters of The Three Musketeers had a bravery that was borne of the times, borne of vanity. I didn’t find them likeable. Dumas’ never made me care about them or what they were doing. I found much of what they were doing repugnant.

So there you have it. I don’t care that it is a classic. I did not enjoy reading it.

The Three Musketeers
By Alexandre Dumas
Publisher: Barnes & Noble Books
Published Date: December 2004
ISBN-13: 9781593081485
720pp
$8.95

4 comments:

Mary said...

Tina,

I tried to read "The Three Muskateers" years ago in high school and hated it. I have never tried to read it again. I do have many favorites among the classics, but this isn't one of them. Thanks for sharing your opinion of the book.

Next time try "Little Women" or "Anne of Green Gables." One of my favorites is "A Girl of the Limberlost." I read and reviewed it for Kids Korner at the Suite.

Take care,
Mary

Tina Coruth said...

Mary,

I'm glad I'm not alone!! I loved Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. I've never read Girl of the Limberlost. I will have to check into that one! Thanks for the tip.

Hugs,
Tina

Mary said...

Tina,

A Girl of the Limberlost was written by Gene Stratton-Porter. It is a story of a girl who lives in Indiana near a swamp called the Limberlost. A wonderful book that you don't want to miss. It was the first book I ever checked out of the city library when I was about 16. I loved it.

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,
Mary

Tina Coruth said...

Thank you, Mary. A Girl of Limberlost sounds like a very good book, about a thousand times more interesting than The Three Musketeers! I just added it to my must read list. :-)

Hugs,
Tina